Managing your geofences is made simple via the Developer Console. If you’re interested in managing them programmatically, check out our Geofences API.
From the Geofences section in the Developer Console, click the "Add New Geofence(s)" Button.
There are five types of geofences you can create:
- Venue - a geofence around a specific venue (e.g Joe’s Pizza in NYC)
- Chain - a geofence around a specific chain of venues (e.g Walmart)
- Category - a geofence around a specific category of venues (e.g Thai Restaurants)
- Circle - a circular geofence around a specific lat/lng pair
- Polygon - a polygon geofence using lat/long pairs
Additional properties allow you to add custom metadata to each geofence event, where the additional properties will be appended to the event payload as a key-value pair.
Note: You can set a max of 10 pairs and each "key" must be unique.
Once you’ve successfully created a geofence, you’ll see it listed in the Active Geofences section.
In addition to creating geofences via the UI, you can also upload geofences using a CSV file.
Note: The maximum number of geofences per upload is 5000 and each geofence must have a unique name.
- Download the csv template here.
- Add your geofences following the format specified in the template. For e.g if you’re creating a venue geofence, ensure the
venueidcolumn is populated with a valid Foursquare
venueid, similarly for a chain geofence a
chainid, category geofence a
- Drag and drop or click to upload your csv file, specifying whether or not you want to append (add to) or replace (delete) existing geofences.
Was this page helpful?